Skip to main content

The Indian Culture


Being part of SPIC MACAY, I had the rare honor of organizing a series of performances for Padma Vibhushan Pt. Birju Maharaj. As a volunteer it also gave me a chance to be in his presence and learn at his feet, not dance but some lessons for life. And as  a volunteer of SPIC MACAY I have had the honor of learning from many other great artistes. 

Since I have associated with SPIC MACAY I have been continuously bombarded with the question of the state of our culture. It was always a question of great thought for me too. Why is it that you have to work so hard to make a presence of your own culture in the heart of the youth? They don’t have any knowledge and neither do they want to have any. 

After being a part of that age myself, I was not able to find a satisfying answer. But once I sat for Padma Vibhushan Pt. Birju Maharaj’s performance, I realized what all the answer staring at my face. If you observe, the beauty of Indian art is that it is not just some movement or just beat, every motion and every sound has a meaning behind it. From a small movement of the eye in Kathakali to circular alaap in classical singing, everything has a deep routed meaning. If you listen to classical music with your eyes closed, it connects you with your inner self, your soul. If you see any Indian classical dance form, it brings you closer to the beauty of nature and being. 

In the present day life, when the competition is so tough and there isn’t any time for life, everyone is looking for something to give them that extra boost. No one actually realizing that by just increasing the speed, they are not achieving anything. They are just running. That is one reason why we have an increase of illnesses due to stress. And that is one reason why they should care more for their Indian Culture. It gives them time to realize their own strength and the calmness to achieve their goal. That is why, some of the great scholars, listen to Indian Classical music during their relaxing time, as it enhances their abilities. And I believe everyone will agree with me here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chal Daaru Peete Hai!

Samay se chura kar kuchh waqt, Zindagi jeete hai. Chal daaru peete hai... Wo sapno ki chadar jo fat gayi hai, Nashe me hi sahi, Aaj usko seete hai, Chal daaru peete hai... Usko bata do ki ab aur intezar nahi uska, Uske intezar me na jane kitne din, mahine, saal bus yun hi beete hai, Chal daru peete hai... Zindagi me hasil karne the jo mukaam, sharab k nashe me hi sahi, Aaj unhe jeete hai... Chal daru peete hai... Gamon Ko chipa kar khusiyan batein Chehare pe hasi ka ek aur nakab pahne.. Chal daru pite hai.... Yaadon ki baarat me khuch pal bitate hain Thoda thoda yaad kartein hain... Chal daru pite hain... Khuch pal ke liye he sahi  Samay ko dokha detein hai. Chal daru piten hain Written By an Unkown Writer!! But must say "Chal Daaru Peete Hai!"

Kashmiri Folk

As time changes, our tastes and preferences also tend to change. And in this evolving environment we often forget where we belong and leave it far behind. I enjoy music and believe in its powers, and honestly prefer to hear more of the western music than the Indian Pop and Bollywood styles. But when I got a chance to hear The Sarod, The Satvik Veena and some other folk performances, I couldn't realize what all I was missing and how less I knew. When I joined Spic Macay, I never thought that it would be such a lively experience. The melodies that these instruments bring forth are definite to calm your senses. The music they produce is deemed to take you into deep meditation and relax your soul. When I think of Kashmir, I imagine beautiful valleys, glowing river and fantastic view, and a little turmoil due to political debacle. But when I heard their folk music, it was a totally new experience. It had passion, smoothness and energy,so much so, that girls listening to the mu

Shelters for Animals

The festival of 'Holi' just ended. In one of the local newspapers I read an article about a group of youngsters urging people to allow stray dogs to live in house compounds and with the help of some locals, they were also building make-shift shelter homes. That was a really noble gesture because colors used in 'Holi' can harm animals. That led me to think, that when one festival can make people build animal shelters, then why don't we actually do so permanently. Now I might be ignorant and there might be some already in place. But when I see a stray dog, it makes confirms my notion. Recently, people have become quite active about animal rights, we have come a long way from making fun and jokes on 'Maenka Gandhi' for being so active in support of animals to actually starting pledges and NGO's to protect them. But still, there is dearth of good shelter homes for stray animals. It is time we started thinking about building proper care homes where str